• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • Egypt
  • Business
  • Local
  • World
Trump election subversion case back in court as judge holds hearing that could set its path forward

Trump election subversion case back in court as judge holds hearing that could set its path forward

September 5, 2024
US: Slight progress in Iran talks

US: Slight progress in Iran talks

May 22, 2026
PM

PM reviews outcomes of free medical convoy in Alexandria

May 22, 2026

Egypt, France team up to boost industrial sector

May 22, 2026
Guardiola confirms Man City exit

Guardiola confirms Man City exit

May 22, 2026
Uruguay boss exits after World Cup

Uruguay boss exits after World Cup

May 22, 2026
Wolfsburg slips closer to Bundesliga exit

Wolfsburg slips closer to Bundesliga exit

May 22, 2026
Arbeloa says will leave post

Arbeloa says will leave post

May 22, 2026
McCartney joins Colbert for ‘Late Show’ finale

McCartney joins Colbert for ‘Late Show’ finale

May 22, 2026
Egypt world-leading model in eliminating hepatitis C

Egypt world-leading model in eliminating hepatitis C

May 22, 2026
Industry

Egypt, France team up to boost industrial sector

May 22, 2026
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Login

Editor-in-Chief

Mohamed Fahmy

Board Chairman

Tarek Lotfy

Egyptian Gazette
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED
No Result
View All Result
Egyptian Gazette
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Trump election subversion case back in court as judge holds hearing that could set its path forward

by News Wires
September 5, 2024
in World
Trump election subversion case back in court as judge holds hearing that could set its path forward 11 - Egyptian Gazette
Share on FacebookWhatsapp

WASHINGTON — A judge will hear arguments Thursday about the potential next steps in the federal election subversion prosecution of Donald Trump in the first hearing since the Supreme Court narrowed the case by ruling that former presidents are entitled to broad immunity from criminal charges.

Prosecutors and defense lawyers submitted dueling proposals late Friday before the status conference. US District Judge Tanya Chutkan is presiding over the case that charges Trump with plotting to overturn the results of the 2020 election in the run-up to the Jan. 6, 2021 riot at the US Capitol.

Trump is not expected to be present, and it was not immediately clear whether Chutkan will make any rulings Thursday.

Special counsel Jack Smith’s team filed a new indictment last week to strip out certain allegations against Trump, the Republican nominee for president, and comply with the Supreme Court ruling. His team said it could be ready at any time to file a legal brief laying out its position on how to apply the justices’ immunity opinion to the case.

Defense lawyers said they intend to file multiple motions to dismiss the case, including one that piggybacks off a Florida judge’s ruling that said Smith’s appointment was unconstitutional.

Neither side envisions a trial happening before the November election, especially given the amount of work ahead. Chutkan is tasked with determining which of the acts alleged in the indictment can remain part of the case in light of the Supreme Court opinion.

The justices in July ruled that former presidents enjoy absolute immunity for the exercise of their core constitutional duties and are presumptively immune from prosecution for all other official acts.

Smith’s team responded to the ruling with a revised indictment last week that removed references to Trump’s efforts to use the law enforcement powers of the Justice Department to remain in power, an area of conduct for which the Supreme Court said Trump is immune.

The case is one of two federal prosecutions against Trump. The other, charging him with illegally hoarding classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, was dismissed in July by US District Judge Aileen Cannon. She said Smith’s appointment as special counsel was unlawful.

Smith’s team has appealed that ruling. Trump’s lawyers say they intend to ask Chutkan to dismiss the election case on the same grounds.

Tags: Supreme CourtTrump electionUS

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT
egyptian-gazette-logo

The Egyptian Gazette is the oldest English-language daily newspaper in the Middle East.
It was first published on January 26, 1880 and it is part of El Tahrir Printing and Publishing House.

Follow Us

Gazette Notifications

Would you like to receive notifications on our latest news ?

  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyrights for © Egyptian Gazette - Administered by Digital Transformation Management.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED

Copyrights for © Egyptian Gazette - Administered by Digital Transformation Management.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.