• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • Egypt
  • Business
  • Local
  • World
Spain moves to house 1,800 migrants in Ceuta

Spain moves to house 1,800 migrants in Ceuta

August 20, 2026
US, S. Korean militaries wrap up drill early

US, S. Korean militaries wrap up drill early

August 21, 2026
Egypt economy grows 5.2% in 9 months despite global challenges

Egypt economy grows 5.2% in 9 months despite global challenges

August 21, 2026
Several injured in Swedish school sword attack

Several injured in Swedish school sword attack

August 21, 2026
Türkiye issues warrant for Netanyahu over Gaza flotilla

Türkiye issues warrant for Netanyahu over Gaza flotilla

August 21, 2026
Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty

Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty

August 21, 2026
Inter set for Serie A title defence

Inter set for Serie A title defence

August 21, 2026
Health

Egypt to offer seasonal flu vaccine from September

August 21, 2026
PM: Tanzania’s Julius Nyerere Dam project showcases Egypt’s growing soft power in Africa

PM: Tanzania’s Julius Nyerere Dam project showcases Egypt’s growing soft power in Africa

August 21, 2026
Egypt, UAE launch Fujairah‑Alamein oil, gas company

Egypt, UAE launch Fujairah‑Alamein oil, gas company

August 21, 2026

Tehran must overcome ‘unjust sanctions’ as US pressure mounts

August 21, 2026
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Login

Editor-in-Chief

Mohamed Fahmy

Board Chairman

Tarek Lotfy

Egyptian Gazette
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED
No Result
View All Result
Egyptian Gazette
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Spain moves to house 1,800 migrants in Ceuta

by News Wires
August 20, 2026
in World
Spain moves to house 1,800 migrants in Ceuta 11 - Egyptian Gazette
Share on FacebookWhatsapp

The Spanish government announced today the creation of shelters for 1,800 migrants in Ceuta in a bid to relieve the humanitarian crisis there following last month’s influx from Morocco.

Some 72,000 migrants breached the border in an unprecedented and deadly rush into the north African territory on July 30-31, with 70,000 having since returned to Morocco, according to Spanish government figures.

But the thousands who remain — including unaccompanied children who cannot be summarily deported — are struggling to access food, water, shelter and sanitation while the tiny city’s resources are overwhelmed.

Many have spent the past three weeks sleeping on the streets or on the beach, with NGOs warning that women and girls are particularly vulnerable.

Locals have complained about insecurity and hygiene problems linked to the homeless migrants roaming the streets, accusing the government of neglecting Ceuta.

The migration ministry said the two new shelters were “temporary reception facilities that will be expanded progressively as the adaptation work on the other planned spaces is completed”.

The priority of the “voluntary” transfer was to offer “an alternative accommodation and reception space so that they (the migrants) no longer have to spend the night on the streets or on the beach”, the ministry said.

The migrants’ future has sparked a political battle between Spain’s leftist central government and regions governed by the main conservative Popular Party (PP) and far-right Vox, which resist taking in unaccompanied children under existing legal provisions.

The government aims to transfer 500 girls to mainland Spain, but the PP has demanded the expulsion of all the remaining migrants.

“In Spain, mass deportations of minors are illegal,” secretary of state for children Ruben Perez Correa responded during an interview with Cadena SER radio today.

The unaccompanied girls in Ceuta — some as young as 10 or 11 years old — come from “very complex family situations” and “require specialised care”, he said.

Tags: MigrantsMoroccoSpain
ADVERTISEMENT
egyptian-gazette-logo

The Egyptian Gazette is the oldest English-language daily newspaper in the Middle East.
It was first published on January 26, 1880 and it is part of El Tahrir Printing and Publishing House.

Follow Us

Gazette Notifications

Would you like to receive notifications on our latest news ?

  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyrights for © Egyptian Gazette - Administered by Digital Transformation Management.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED

Copyrights for © Egyptian Gazette - Administered by Digital Transformation Management.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.