• Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Saturday, February 21, 2026
itida
Egyptian Gazette

Editor-in-Chief

Mohamed Fahmy

Board Chairman

Tarek Lotfy

  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED
No Result
View All Result
Egyptian Gazette
Home World

Gaza deaths in war’s first 15 months higher than reported, study says

by News Wires
February 20, 2026
in World
Gaza deaths in war's first 15 months higher than reported, study says 1 - Egyptian Gazette
Share on FacebookWhatsapp

More than 75,000 Palestinians were killed in the first 15 months of Israel’s military assault in Gaza, a figure far higher than the 49,000 deaths local health officials announced at the time, says a new study by The Lancet Global Health medical journal.


The peer-reviewed study, published on Wednesday, found that women, children and the elderly comprised some 56.2% of violent deaths in Gaza during that period, a composition that it said roughly aligned with reporting by Gaza’s health ministry.

The field work was conducted by the Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research, run by Palestinian pollster Khalil Shikaki, who has carried out public opinion polling in the West Bank and Gaza for decades. The lead author is Michael Spagat, a professor at Royal Holloway, University of London.


The study is the first independent population survey of mortality in the Gaza Strip, said its authors, whose research involved surveying 2,000 Palestinian households over seven days starting on December 30, 2024.
“The combined evidence suggests that, as of Jan 5, 2025, 3–4% of the population of the Gaza Strip had been killed violently and there have been a substantial number of non-violent deaths caused indirectly by the conflict,” the authors wrote.

The Gaza death toll has been bitterly disputed since Israel’s assault began after the Hamas-led October 7, 2023, attack on southern Israel. Gaza health authorities, whose figures the U.N. has long deemed reliable, report more than 72,000 killed and estimate thousands more remain uncounted beneath destroyed buildings 28 months later.


Israel has questioned those tallies, citing Hamas control of the ministry, though a senior military officer told Israeli media last month its figures were broadly accurate — a view the army later said did not reflect official data.


Lancet researchers said their analysis contradicts claims of inflation and suggests the ministry numbers are, if anything, conservative under extreme conditions.

Field staff, mostly female and experienced in surveying, conducted face-to-face interviews with Palestinians from households across Gaza’s different districts, the authors wrote. The questionnaire, reviewed by Reuters, asks respondents to list individuals in their immediate household who were killed.
“We calculated mortality estimates as weighted sums. Each individual in the sample received a weight representing the number of people in the Gaza Strip they represent,” the authors wrote.


The authors wrote that the survey was the first on Gaza mortality that did not rely on administrative records from the health ministry. They said their results on violent deaths had a 95% confidence interval, a value that indicates how accurately a pollster has captured a data point.


There were an estimated 16,300 non-violent deaths during the first 15 months of the war, caused by disease, pre-existing conditions, accidents or other causes not directly related to combat, the authors wrote. These are separate from the 75,200 violent deaths estimated during that period.

Tags: 15 monthsdeathGazaHigher
ADVERTISEMENT
egyptian-gazette-logo

The Egyptian Gazette is the oldest English-language daily newspaper in the Middle East.
It was first published on January 26, 1880 and it is part of El Tahrir Printing and Publishing House.

Follow Us

Gazette Notifications

Would you like to receive notifications on our latest news ?

  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyrights for © Egyptian Gazette - Administered by Digital Transformation Management.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED

Copyrights for © Egyptian Gazette - Administered by Digital Transformation Management.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.