• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • Egypt
  • Business
  • Local
  • World
US-S.Korea

US, South Korea to shorten military drills

August 19, 2026
Egypt’s Awqaf Ministry, EGIPA sign deal to promote IP awareness

Egypt’s Awqaf Ministry, EGIPA sign deal to promote IP awareness

August 19, 2026
Egypt, Scatec review progress on 3.1GW renewable energy projects

Egypt, Scatec review progress on 3.1GW renewable energy projects

August 19, 2026
PM reviews plans to modernise Egypt’s commodity subsidy system

PM reviews plans to modernise Egypt’s commodity subsidy system

August 19, 2026
Egypt ready to host 12th edition of FASU Games in September

Egypt ready to host 12th edition of FASU Games in September

August 19, 2026
King-Queen

Queen Camilla wanted to share King’s diagnosis at cancer charity

August 19, 2026
China robot makers flock to Beijing show, seek path to mass adoption

China robot makers flock to Beijing show, seek path to mass adoption

August 19, 2026
Sisi meets Haftar, reaffirms Egypt’s support for Libya’s unity, stability

Sisi meets Haftar, reaffirms Egypt’s support for Libya’s unity, stability

August 19, 2026
West Qantara Industrial Zone attracts $1.54bn in Investments

West Qantara Industrial Zone attracts $1.54bn in Investments

August 19, 2026
Oil

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
Egypt seeks stronger eco-alignment for Forbes Int’l Tower in New Capital

Egypt seeks stronger eco-alignment for Forbes Int’l Tower in New Capital

August 19, 2026
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Login

Editor-in-Chief

Mohamed Fahmy

Board Chairman

Tarek Lotfy

Egyptian Gazette
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED
No Result
View All Result
Egyptian Gazette
No Result
View All Result
Home World

US, South Korea to shorten military drills

by Gazette Staff
August 19, 2026
in World
US-S.Korea
Share on FacebookWhatsapp

South Korea and the United States will cut short annual joint military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some ‌field training, the allies said on Wednesday, after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in US participation.


The change in the drills comes as Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visits South Korea on Wednesday and Thursday for regional security talks expected to cover developments on the Korean peninsula.

The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, which began on August 17, will now run through August 21, South ​Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff and a Pentagon official said, instead of the original end date of August 27.


South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said the ​allies were moving to cancel the drills’ second phase, media said, adding that it had been expected to involve counterattack ⁠operations after an initial defensive phase.

At the suggestion of the United States, the countries agreed on partial adjustments to the duration and scope of the drills, the ​JCS said. Some combined field manoeuvre training would also be scaled back, although details were still being discussed.

A US Department of Defense official said the department had substantially ​reduced the exercise and associated live-training events, with some cancelled or switched to simulations.

The changes would preserve essential readiness and training aims, with no degradation to US training objectives, the official added.


The changes follow Trump’s order on Sunday to “substantially reduce” the US role in the drills, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.


Trump’s objectives in the order appeared to ​be to pressure Seoul over the pace of its promised US investments under a trade deal, shift attention from US challenges in Iran and reopen diplomacy ​with Pyongyang, one analyst said.


“Trump is trying to catch three birds with one stone here,” said Ellen Kim, senior fellow at the Korea Economic Institute of America.

North Korea again ‌denounced the drills on Wednesday, saying it would continue exercising its right to self-defence against what it called military threats from Washington and Seoul, the official news agency KCNA said.

In a commentary, it called the United States and South Korea “warmongers” raising tension on the Korean peninsula, but stopped short of mentioning Trump, his order or the scaling back.

North Korea’s decision to issue the commentary, rather than a statement by a senior official or a military show of force, may signal an effort to leave room ​for diplomacy, said Hong Min, a researcher ​at the Korea Institute for National Unification.

Trump has pushed aides to arrange an in-person meeting with Kim as soon as this autumn, the Wall Street Journal said, citing US officials.


He has discussed holding talks during a possible November trip to Asia for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit ​in the Chinese technology hub of Shenzhen, the paper added.

Reuters could not immediately verify the report.

The White House did not ​respond to a request ⁠for comment on its approach to North Korea or the military exercises.
Trump said on Monday that Kim had responded to his outreach, without disclosing the nature of the contact.

Pyongyang routinely condemns joint US-South Korean military exercises as rehearsals for invasion, while Washington and Seoul say they are defensive and necessary to ensure readiness against North Korea’s military threats.

Neither South ⁠Korean nor ​US officials had been aware in advance of Trump’s order, South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun ​told a parliamentary hearing on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, President Lee Jae Myung said the Ulchi exercises were defensive and Seoul had no intention of using them to attack North Korea or heighten tension on the ​peninsula.

Tags: drillsUS
ADVERTISEMENT
egyptian-gazette-logo

The Egyptian Gazette is the oldest English-language daily newspaper in the Middle East.
It was first published on January 26, 1880 and it is part of El Tahrir Printing and Publishing House.

Follow Us

Gazette Notifications

Would you like to receive notifications on our latest news ?

  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyrights for © Egyptian Gazette - Administered by Digital Transformation Management.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • EGYPT
    • Local
    • Features
  • World
    • National Day
  • Technology
  • BUSINESS
    • Real Estate
    • Automotive
  • SPORTS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • Arts
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Skyward
    • Snippets from EgyptAir history
  • MORE
    • Multimedia
      • Video
      • Podcast
      • Gallery
    • OP-ED

Copyrights for © Egyptian Gazette - Administered by Digital Transformation Management.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.